Saturday, November 6, 2010

Secretary of State Visit

We were all excited to meet our Secretary of State in Wellington yesterday. I was worried about getting a parking space downtown so we left ridiculously early. We arrived while the secret service were still setting up the room. 
We were all set to be told to bugger off and wait downstairs but I guess our embassy badges and security check was enough to let us wait in the reception room. Yay. I was wearing heels and didn't want to navigate the stairs again having already lost a heel on the way up. Yes, it was a bit embarrassing when a secret service agent came after me with the broken part of my shoe and said "uh, ma'am, is this part of your shoe?" Dang it. Luckily, we were able to put it back on so I wouldn't have to hobble around on one shoe. That would have been very awkward. I'm sure I made a great impression on the SS. Neurotic, ridiculously early, and can't walk in heels. I was allowed to shake Mrs. Clinton's hand nonetheless.
The event went incredibly smoothly and after some nice speeches, she came down from the podium and shook every hand. She had brief chats with a few of the children and then was whisked away to her next event.  We had fun.
On a personal note, I thought she looked beautiful and presented herself amazingly well.  Thanks to our Ambasador for making this happen for us and thanks too to Dr. McWaine for taking this video for me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's just awesome! I am so thrilled for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Ame. Wonderful video. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete