Sunday, November 21, 2010

One Big Family

I have only been here for 3 months or so but already the embassy folks seem like one big family. Everyone seems to look out for everyone. We seem to bypass the usual pleasantries that most newcomers go through because, quite frankly, we just don't have the time. We are only here, or anywhere for that matter, for 2 or so years so...hello, nice to meet you, come to dinner, tea, walks, whatever. You're one of the group. Get busy.
Already, I am having to say goodbye to a great friend. Cecelia has to be one of the friendliest people I've ever met. We've been to her house twice already and I know of others who have been there dozens of times. She loves mothering and wants everyone to feel at home and to be well fed! Sadly, she is leaving to head to Poland. I'm sure they will love here there too.
I am already dreading Gina's departure. She isn't leaving until July but when she goes, it will be hard on a lot of people. Gina is our "gets things done" gal. If something needs doing, she will more often than not, volunteer to do it and do it well. It allows some of us (ahem) to be slackers. I suppose I will have to brush up on my organization skills. It's just too easy to call Gina to see what's happening.
The upside is that we get someone new for every departure. I have never known so many people that I have liked so much right out of the gate (all but 2- you know who you are). I think I'm going to like this State Department gig.

1 comment:

  1. this is so lovely! I am really looking forward to joining the family. The goodbyes will certainly be tough, but it's so nice to know that it's really easy to make new friends and that you will have friends all over the world.

    ReplyDelete