Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Getting back to normal...almost.

  It has been a month since the earthquake and things are starting to feel normal again.  I've been taking Ewan to soccer practice, taking my friends up on invitations for walks and lunches and walking through downtown occasionally without looking up at the buildings. I still walk toward the street side of the walkways, just in case but, I think I will do that for as long as we are in New Zealand.  After all, there have been hundreds of after shocks and dozens of mini quakes in the last month but this is "normal" for New Zealand. Something I didn't know before I came here.

  While I mentally feel fine, my body is still trying to deal with the over abundance of adrenaline in my system due the constant state of hyper vigilance I am in.  It has metastasized into a very large rash covering most of my body.  I can deal with this. I know it will eventually go away but it is a nuisance and very itchy.  Apparently this is common for folks who experience extreme stress.

  I volunteered at my sons school today in the snack shop, it is one of my favorite things to do. I get to see them running to class and at morning tea and lunch.  Sometimes I even get a cuddle from Ewan.  Morgan just comes for the food but it is still nice to see him.  I was also delighted to notice that my rash was receding today. It was mainly on my arms and legs and I was beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I attributed it to my sense of calm throughout the day. I was laughing with Clare, the shop manager, and the sun was shining beautifully.  I was feeling strong and happy. Then the school had a surprise earthquake drill.  Bummer, the rash is back full force. I can only laugh at my dumb luck.

Tomorrow I will start again.


  1. I am so glad there is a bit of normalcy coming in. Hang in there! (The earthquake drill stinks.)

  2. Of course you were there that day. :( Boo. I keep thinking of you Amy! Hang in there. I'll send all my good thoughts your way.